Monday, April 27

When Insults Had Class

After the quotes I shared on Saturday, I just HAD to share this one... It's about remarks people have made about others... And how insults can be subtle yet effective!! Take a hint ;-)

He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire - Winston Churchill

I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure - Clarence Darrow

He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it - Mark Twain

He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends - Oscar Wilde

I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend. If you have one - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill




... followed by Churchill's response:
Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second, if there is one - Winston Churchill

I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here - Stephen Bishop

He is a self-made man and worships his creator - John Bright

I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial - Irvin S. Cobb

He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in others - Samuel Johnson

Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it? - Mark Twain

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go - Oscar Wilde

Lady Astor once remarked to Winston Churchill at a Dinner Party, “Winston, if you were my husband, I would poison your coffee!”
Winston replied, “Madam if I were your husband I would drink it!”

Lady Astor also once remarked to Winston Churchill at another Dinner Party, “Sir Winston, you're drunk!”
To which, Winston replied, “Yes, Madam, I am. And you're ugly! But in the morning, I will be sober. And you will still be ugly!”

Mast, eh?!!

Cya!
Princess

No comments:

Shadow

He looked at her like she was the air he breathed, Without, he would collapse.  He lived to see her smile, Her dimples, his prized possessio...