Friday, November 28

Colorful cocktails





Sounds exciting, eh?!!








I’ve always spoken my mind on this blog, and this time, I’m trying something different, something objective and factual. Like I’ve actually done some research on the internet, to get you these photos and definitions. Gime a pat, buddies!!

(Of course, I can’t keep my gifted life, exceptional mind and talented tongue shut for long, so don’t fret; will lapse into my personal rant sooner than you think!)

First the research – For all the drinks you’ve guzzled till date, I bet you don’t even know what the term cocktail stands for, as in, literally. (Even wikipedia was quite confused and the etymology only spoke about cocks and their tails.)

So, here is the definition - Originally a mixture of distilled spirits, sugar, water, and bitters, the word cocktail has gradually come to mean almost any mixed drink containing alcohol. A cocktail today usually contains one or more types of liquor and flavorings and one or more liqueurs, fruit juices, sugar, honey, water, ice, soda, milk, cream, herbs, bitters, etc. Cocktails are made with gin, whiskey, rum, tequila, brandy, or vodka.
The page goes on to report the earliest description (New York, 1806) of this
“bittered sling” - an excellent electioneering potion, inasmuch as it renders the heart stout and bold, at the same time that it fuddles the head. It is said, also to be of great use to a Democratic candidate: because a person, having swallowed a glass of it, is ready to swallow anything else."
Quite an exposé! But on no account untrue. Nothing like a tiny peg of a hard drink to make irritating persons tolerable (a large one will even make them seem congenial!) and render courage to demure folks.

(Now you know why
married men drink so much... Giggle giggle!)
Alcohol helps you throw caution to the winds, it makes you feel like you have no need to fear vulnerability and vanquishment. You see the world as a brand new place; a happy space, where everything looks agreeable and reasonable. People cease to bother, anger, scare or upset you. You realize all humans are not be shunned, hated or criticized. Everything seems right, and what isn’t, you get the strength to either disregard or accept it for what it is. And move on with a chuckle. (Check my Jaipur jaunt!)

A sense of confidence, greatness and generosity grow in you. You aren’t as piqued and petty as you usually are. A win-win every way!

Don’t misconstrue me. I’m not advocating drinking, nor am I supporting those who fish like a drink (I mean drink like a fish)... I know how irritating it can be when someone in the family or friend circle drinks too much too often. I am just sharing my views about how this cocktail contagion is not so bad when you have a decent dose of it on those rare and special occasions.

Back to research! The first "cocktail party" ever thrown was allegedly by Mrs. Julius Walsh Jr. (May 1917) in Missouri. Apparently the party lasted one hour, after which the guests moved on to the buffet spread. Can’t quite compare that to the full-fledged, "spirited" parties of today, eh?!
I hope you know cocktails vary in their ingredients from bartender to bartender, and from
region to region. Two creations may have the same name but taste very different because of differences in how the drinks are prepared. (Which is why my “Sex on the Beach” looks orange in one restaurant and pink in another lounge. But, I ain’t complaining! As long as it meets its purpose...)

I could share a galaxy of instances with you about my encounter with crazy concoctions. Be it the “Waterfall” I shared with Sibi at Kiva, or the Fire and Ice I tasted with Dips. The tequila and wine shots with Sumant, or the B52 and Margaritas with the inlingua gang. The straight vodkas at Optimos, or my nascent days with beer and buddies.

(I am sure you now think of me as a pakki bewdi, but heck, (or shall I say "hiccc!"), as I always say, I can either be honest or modest. Not both together! And I AM a responsible, mature adult. So, I know my drinks and the right times, places and company to have them with. So, rest assured! And thanks for caring...)

Thanks, really.

For being here...

Come back next week for some more fun! I'm of for the weekend!! Yayyy...

Cheers!
Princess

3 comments:

Sibi said...

Y seem to have done a lot of research for this blog i guess.But it was gr8.Gr8 to know bat sex on the beach.
Have a nice day.

Anonymous said...

Great post, you will find a real indepth etymology on theis Blog:

http://adamjamesnall.blogspot.com/

You'll have to hunt for it, but this blog is very interesting and well written.

AV
http://netherregionoftheearthii.blogspot.com/
http://tomusarcanum.blogspot.com/

Princess said...

Checked your profile, AV. Quite a few blogs listed in there, but couldn't see much on them. Are they all functional, especially the ones on English?

Nice blogs, the ones you've mentioned.

Cheers!
Anuja

Shadow

He looked at her like she was the air he breathed, Without, he would collapse.  He lived to see her smile, Her dimples, his prized possessio...