Saturday, December 20

The 3Ms - Mobile, Magnolia, Mahabharata

Something weird’s happening with my cell-phone. I think meri nazar lag gayi hai...

Remember I told you the teeny darling has everything I’d possibly need, and is my most cherished handset till date? Well, seems like it has taken offence. My hands-free doesn’t work until it’s tilted at a particular (and may I add, highly awkward) angle. Besides that, either the Airtel network is screwed, or my sim has gone nuts. I thought my friend had gone barmy when he said I was messaging his from some other number. But, it was true! When I sms-ed him, instead of my number, there was some other number that was appearing in the sender’s details. Not only that, when I was trying to make a call, I was told my outgoing was barred! Hell! Even the customer care number was not going through. (Thank god it’s toll-free!)

Visited the centre yesterday, so I hope things function normally now. I’m sick of the switch off-switch on, remove sim-insert again formula day in-day out... Besides, I was really freaked out that my sms went as another unknown number. What with the terrorist threats and high-fi technology crimes like identity-hacking and password –hacking, I thought my sim was hacked!

My latest discovery has been the Magnolia restaurant. Abba’s in town, and it had been a while since we caught up, so he suggested dinner. Ammi had gone to attend some Bramhakumari discourse at KP, so it was just the two of us. I’m tired of the same old joints in Pune, and in my quest for “something new and different”, I nodded as Abba said Magnolia. Located in Aundh amidst plush electronic and furniture malls, this Thai and Chinese restaurant is not as heavy on the wallet as my favorite Mainland China, but has a comparable ambience, service and fare.

What considerably added to the experience, was the fact that I did not have to order, as I passed the buck to “the man at the table”. (I find it a very onerous and tedious task as the menu seems purposely built to perplex and distress diners.) So, it was Hot and Sour soup, Crispy Chicken, Shanghai Chicken, and Egg Fried Rice that landed up on our table. I wasn’t quite prepared to see coriander and olives floating in my soup, but maybe my understanding of said broth is flawed. (I resolve to henceforth order clear soup at Chinese/Thai restaurants.) The starter was pretty decent, and the main course scrumptious. I had a few laughs as the cute waiter there described the Shanghai Chicken and Chicken Hongkong in almost identical terms, even as he recommended a white gravy Chicken Hot Pot.

As conversation hovered around married and professional life, I ordered Sizzling Brownie for dessert, and watching-my-diet Abba willingly sneaked a few spoonfuls. Sound like a perfect dinner date, eh? What makes it even more ideal, is the bill that came to a measly 300 per person! They also serve wine and beer, so the place could be a good venue for friends or lovers. My rating – great place, must visit once!

As far as reading goes, I’ve resumed the Mahabharata and reached the part where Krishna slays Sishupal, his own cousin, at Yudi’s Rajasuya. I had no choice but to shut the book (with the bookmark firmly in place, of course) and ruminate. Have you any clue WHO Sishupal was??!! I, for sure, did NOT know this eerie connection between Hiranyaksha-Hiranyakashapu, Ravana-Kumbhakarna and Sishupal-Dantavakra... They were all he same two people, born and reborn as demons and each time killed by Vishnu Himself!! Jay-Vijay, the gatekeepers of Vishnu’s Vaikunth were cursed by some munis coz they did not let them in when Vishnu was resting... Kya na, kisi bhi baat pe shaap! If such things were still true today, can you imagine what would happen?!!

“You refused to let me go out with my boyfriend, so may you be separated from your husband forever”... Followed by the mum wailing “Noooooooooooo...”

And if one doesn’t give a penny to the beggar (the monarchs of the Indian streets and public places), “Jaa sale, tu bhi apni agli paanch zindagiyon mein loola-langda bhikari banega”...

Whew! Thank God for small mercies...

So, wassup pretty people? I’m thoroughly bored of work, though there seem to be some refreshingly different assignments in the offing. However, my core responsibilities remain the same, so, it’s not a breather for me just yet. Maybe by December-end, early-Jan things should change. Massively. Psst psst!

Christmas next week and New Year eve the week after that. Time’s a-dragging! Thought of any resolutions hitherto? I can’t conjure up any. But I’m sure New Year’s gona be rocking. Got some plans in mind, but will tell you after it actually happens!

That’s all for now. Be back after the weekend.

Cheers!
Princess

2 comments:

Sibi said...

Well the mobile problem is not only with u,but its with me as well and with some other people wen the n/w goes for a toss..Seems like we both need a new handset..Hope we get one soon..Nice stories in Mahabharat haan.But its amazing to hear it from you.Imagine sadak pe jab mamu pakad le toh hum bole ja sale teri saat pushte ganji paida ho n imagine sach ho jaaye.Ya surely thank god for small mercies..My resolution is tat m not gonna make any resolution..Hope yo plans work out..Have a nice weekend..Wish my words turn gold...

Sibi said...

Hey forgot to write bat Mangolia.Seems like I must visit tat place..3oo per person is not a bad deal i think.And u said ki its nice toh it must be good.Mangolia main aa raha hun....

Shadow

He looked at her like she was the air he breathed, Without, he would collapse.  He lived to see her smile, Her dimples, his prized possessio...